Difference Between Nuts and Legumes
Nuts vs Legumes
Nuts and legumes are part of everyday food that contain a lot of nutrients needed for the body. It is difficult to distinguish between nuts and legumes as they are identical in many respects. Both the nuts and legumes come with a dry fruit inside a pod but when closely examined nuts and legumes are different.
One of the main differences that can be noted between nuts and legumes is in the number of seeds present inside the shell. Nuts usually come with one or two seeds. On the other hand, legumes come with multiple seeds.
While legumes are dehiscent (bursting open on their own naturally), nuts usually are not and they have to be cracked open. While the seeds of a nut are not attached to the walls of the pod, the seeds of legume are attached to the walls of the shell.
When talking of the nutritional aspects, the legumes are dense food. Legumes contain about 18 to 25 per cent of proteins and are a good source of dietary fiber. They are also low in fat content. The legumes are also rich in vitamin B complex and minerals like Potassium, Calcium and Magnesium. They are also a great source of phytosterols. The nuts also have almost the same protein content as that of the legumes. The nuts are high in fats but contain low saturated fats. The Nuts are a good source of Potassium, Magnesium and copper.
Another difference that can be noticed is in the cost. Legumes are a bit more costly than the nuts.
Some of the common nuts include macadamia nuts, brazil nuts, cashews, hazels, almonds, pecans, pistachios, pine nuts and walnuts . The common legumes include black-eyed peas, black beans, garbanzo beans, navy beans, pinto beans , kidney beans and lentils.
1. A nut usually comes with one or two seeds. On the other hand, a legume comes with mulitple seeds.
2. While the seeds of a nut are not attached to the walls of the pod, the seeds of legume are attached to the walls of the shell.
3. While nuts are indehiscent (having to be cracked open), the legumes are dehiscent (bursting open on their own naturally). image
4. Legumes have low fat content. On the other hand, the nuts are high in fats but contain low saturated fats
5. When compared to nuts, the legumes are a bit more costly.
Search DifferenceBetween.net :
Email This Post : If you like this article or our site. Please spread the word. Share it with your friends/family.