Difference Between Almonds and Peanuts
Almonds Vs Peanuts
Almonds and peanuts are two examples of tiny food products that everyone would love to eat on the go or while watching their favorite movies. Obviously, these popular nuts or seeds look very different and most nut lovers can easily distinguish one from the other with their different appearance.
Peanut, otherwise known as a groundnut is part of the legume family. It is also known throughout the world with many other alternative names like earthnuts. It is a massively produced nut that is supplied by its top three producers namely: China, India and the U.S.A.
Under the scientific naming nomenclature, almonds and peanuts belong to different divisions. The former falling under magnoliophyta whereas the latter is under the tracheophyta
With regard to its nutrient, vitamin and mineral content, the peanut has more carbohydrates, proteins and fat content than almonds although it has lesser sugar and fiber. Even though it is high in fat, a peanut’s fat content are mostly composed of the good fats. Peanuts also contain more B vitamins namely B1, B3, B5, B6 and B9 except for its B2 value that is a little lower as compared to that of almonds. The latter has better values with other nutrients or minerals like calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus and potassium. However, zinc is 0.3 mg greater in peanuts. Almonds too give more energy to the consumer with about 578 kcal per 100 grams as opposed to peanut’s 570 kcal.
It is also equally important to note that the term almond can both refer to a tree species or the seed of this same tree. Unlike the peanut, the almond is not really a true nut. The almond seed is the ones enclosed inside a hard outer shell. It has an outer covering called the hull and another inner woody shell. Inside this shell resides only one nut or seed. With regard to the peanut, when you open its shell you will see two peanut seeds intact with their brownish seed coats.
1. Almonds are not classified as true nuts compared to peanuts.
2. Peanuts and almonds belong to different divisions and families of the scientific nomenclature.
3. Peanuts have more B vitamins than almonds although the latter has more mineral content like calcium and iron amongst others.
4. Peanuts have higher protein and fat content than almonds.
5. Peanuts have a little less calorie than almonds.
6. Generally, when you open the shell of the peanut there are two seeds inside compared to almonds mostly having one seed inside its shell.
Search DifferenceBetween.net :
Email This Post : If you like this article or our site. Please spread the word. Share it with your friends/family.
Leave a Response