Difference Between Leadership and Management
Leadership vs Management
Leadership and management are two terms used to define group behavior in a professional or cultural setting. While leadership means setting up new goals, vision or planning a new strategy, management means controlling the group and organizing it to achieve pre-set goals and objectives according to the values and principles of the group.
Leadership involves a core group or single individuals. Management, on the other hand, involves an entire group and the actions required to make it function in a coordinated manner to help achieve the goals set by the leaders of the group.
Good leadership is all about managing the group properly while good management is about helping the leaders achieve the goals for the collective vision of the group. Management without leadership is usually a futile activity. Without proper leadership, the resources of a group cannot be managed for optimum output. For example, in the case of a country fighting for independence, unless there is proper leadership, there cannot be an optimum management of all freedom-fighters for achieving liberty.
A leadership that cannot ensure proper management is a failure while management without proper leadership is of no use. Only active participatory action by leaders is considered true leadership. A figurehead monarch is not considered a leader.
Leadership and management are inter-connected and inter-dependent concepts. Principles of management can continue to change with the changing times and requirements but the principles of leadership remain essentially the same throughout history.
A leader, whether in the Roman times or the present New Age, would be required to exhibit the same qualities of virtue, valor, confidence, inspiration, etc but management of a Roman army would be completely different from the management of a modern army. Management principles are only behavioral aspects that alter with environment, culture and requirements while leadership principles make people go down in history as great men to inspire generations.
Search DifferenceBetween.net :
Email This Post : If you like this article or our site. Please spread the word. Share it with your friends/family.
- Difference Between Efficiency and Effectiveness | Difference Between
- Difference Between Obama and Bush foreign policy | Difference Between | Obama vs Bush foreign policy
- Difference Between HRM and HRD | Difference Between | HRM vs HRD
- Difference Between Urgent and Important | Difference Between | Urgent vs Important
- Difference Between LPN and RN | Difference Between | LPN vs RN
- Difference Between MS Office Standard and Office Professional | Difference Between | MS Office Stvsard vs Office Professional
- Difference Between Management and Governance | Difference Between | Management vs Governance
Leave a Response