6 responses

  1. Ellie-D
    October 11, 2010

    In the UK the terminology for double and twin rooms is pretty much standard across the board – twin for two, double for one big enough for two. Simple!


  2. s.
    December 30, 2012

    Could you provide a little more information? I’m still a little unsure of what the differences are here…


  3. Fubbab
    March 17, 2014

    ‘Two guys’ or ‘two girls’ will also choose a double room, if they are in a relationship together.


    • Lorenzo
      July 9, 2016

      Right! That’s just a sad choice of words


  4. billdoesjudo
    November 15, 2015

    This is very vague.


  5. Doublemuddled
    May 23, 2018

    Hotel jargon, which is ok when discussed between those who work in the trade, is fine as long as everyone else can grasp what they are banging on about. Rooms on the whole are described by their beds. A single room had a single bed, 3′ or 3’6” wide, a twin room has two single beds, and a double room has a double bed. Now I have had some pretty odd, sometimes uncomfortable exchanges, because room descriptions are confused with bed descriptions. It’s bonkers but surely a professional industry like hospitality should find a way of making room and bed descriptions clearer and not leave innocent travellers feeling embarrassed just because sharing a room happens to be practical and good value. Clearer descriptions would be room with a single bed, room with twin beds or room with a double bed. And oh yes, there is the room with twin beds which can be made up as a double bed which of course should be described as such. So next time somebody describes a double twin room, qualify by explaining what there actually is. Oh and do point out the bed dimensions.
    My message is don’t use jargon as it confuses.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top
mobile desktop