Zyban vsÂ Wellbutrin
Zyban and Wellbutrin are common prescription drugs which are prescribed to patients who are severely and clinically depressed. In some cases, both the drugs can also be used to combat the nicotine addiction in smokers who are trying to quit. Wellbutrin is more commonly used to treat depression, whereas Zyban is recommended for people seeking to stop smoking. Both drugs are the same medication, also called bupropion, and even made by the same company called Glaxco-Wellcome. The company found as a side effect of the medicine Wellbutrin, that patients were experiencing a decreased desire to smoke, or a decrease in the addictive need for nicotine. So instead of marketing Wellbutrin as both an anti-depressant and an anti-smoking drug, they re-named the drug Zyban. Both Wellbutrin and Zyban have been approved by the Food and Drug Administration and are commonly prescribed prescriptions by psychiatrists and medical doctors.
Patients who are not ideal candidates for Wellbutrin and Zyban include men or women who have recently stopped drinking alcohol or using heavy sedatives, people who have epilepsy or seizures, or anorexia or bulimia. These medications can cause seizures for patients who are prone to them. Also, they do make patients lose some weight which is not beneficial to a patient suffering from anorexia or bulimia. Some of the common side effects of both medicines include constipation, dizziness, dry mouth, vomiting, and weight changes. These medications are not recommended to be taken by women who are pregnant or while under the influence of alcohol, like other medications. Both medications are typically not prescribed to patients who are on corticosteroids, orphenadrin, phenatoyn, as there can be negative complications with the two medications.
Unfortunately, one of the worst risks of taking either of these medications is the increased chance of having suicidal thoughts or tendencies; therefore patients who are on these medications are closely monitored by their doctors. Physicians still recommend that patients attempt to quit smoking without the use of prescription drugs as some people may become dependent. Additionally, Wellbutrin is also not recommended for all patients and the first attempt to treat depression should be counseling sessions which a psychiatrist or a psychologist before medication is considered a possibility.
While these medications may seem entirely different, they are actually one in the same. The only difference between Zyban and Wellbutrin are the names and the more common uses for each of the prescribed medications.
1. Wellbutrin and Zyban are prescription drugs used to treat depressed patients. Zyban is prescribed to patients who are trying to quit smoking also.
2. The same company manufactures both drugs, as they are the same merely used to treat different clinical problems.
3. There are many side effects of both medicines, and should not be taken by pregnant women, or those who are under the influence of alcohol.
4. People who have epilepsy, bulimia, anorexia, or experience frequent seizures are not seen as candidates for either medication, so another medication should be prescribed in this case.
- Difference between Ego and Attitude - February 19, 2018
- Difference Between Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and King Charles Spaniel - April 10, 2011
- Difference Between Eastern Religions and Western Religions - April 10, 2011