Most people do not see any difference between art and craft as they are both considered to be forms of creativity. Let’s consider how art and craft differ.
Art is a form of work that is the expression of emotions. Craft is a form of work, which results in a tangible output, for example, moulding and carving.
Art is often described as unstructured and open ended. It has no limitations of expression, just like in painting. Craft on the other hand is structured, which means that it has a certain form that is visible.
While Craft can be quantified, this is more difficult to do with art. Â Another thing that can be seen is that one can create duplicate craft forms, which is not possible with art. It can also be seen that art forms move people on an emotional level whereas crafts attract people. For example, a piece of painting can create emotions in a person whereas a piece of jewellery or pottery can be an attraction.
Unlike craft, art is known to come out of the heart and soul. Crafts come out of the mind and need considerable practise to come out with world-class forms.
Art is a result of a person’s innate talents whereas skill in craft can be acquired with experience. Craft forms can be called skilled forms. In craft, more practical thought is needed whereas in Art, it is the emotions that make a perfect creation. Art is more related to aesthetics.
A craftsman will have an idea about what he wants to actually make. In art, it is the emotions that flow out, whereas in craft, no emotion is involved.
Pottery, metal works, glass works and jewellery are some examples of craft works. Painting, architectureÂ and sculpture are examples of art forms.
- Art is a form of work that expresses emotions and expressions. Craft is a form of work, which has a physical form just like in moulding and carving.
- While Craft is quantified, Art seldom is.
- One can create duplicate craft forms, which is not possible with art.
- Art forms move people emotionally, whereas crafts attract people.
- Unlike craft, art is known to come out of the heart and soul. Crafts are a product of the mind.
- In art, it is the emotions that flow out whereas in craft no emotion is involved.
- Art comes out from a person’s innate talents whereas craft is the result of experience.