Difference Between Amoxicillin and Penicillin
Amoxicillin vs Penicillin
One of the most important advancements in medicine was the development of the antibiotic. An antibiotic is a medicinal drug that destroys the growth of micro-organisms in the body. The two most common antibiotics used in today’s society are that of Amoxicillin and Penicillin. Both drugs are used to fight infectious diseases that forge attacks on our bodies. Although classed as the same, it is important to note the delicate differences between the two drugs.
Essentially, Amoxicillin and Penicillin are the by-product of the mould growth Penicillin. This mould is called penicillim and is a blue and yellow colour; it is often found growing on out of date food. It was accidentally discovered by a man called Alexander Fleming.; he found that the product of this mould growth could fight and destroy the harmful bacteria. So became the birth of Penicillin.
Amoxicillin is an antibiotic that has derived from the original source of Penicillin. It is primarily a semi-synthetic drug that helps relieve pain as well as killing all of the harmful bacteria making you ill. In today’s medical world, Amoxicillin is the preferred antibiotic to use when treating strong bacterial infection. Amoxicillin has the right medicinal compound to fight through the stomach acid and to infiltrate the blood stream more effectively. Penicillin does not achieve the same level of absorption to that of its counterpart.
It is interesting to note that both drugs treat bacteria in the same way. There is no real difference between the effectiveness of either drug. The variation in the drug is shown in the treatment time. Medical research has shown that Amoxicillin manages to kill the infection in a much quicker period; therefore treatment lasts for a shorter interval. Children are often treated with Amoxicillin because of the fast turnaround of treatment; a six day treatment is much preferred to the longer ten day treatment of Penicillin.
1. Amoxicillin and Penicillin are both forms of antibiotics.
2. Antibiotics are used to cure internal bacterial infections.
3. Penicillin was discovered by Alexander Fleming, it was a by-product of mould growth.
4. Amoxicillin is a semi-synthetic antibiotic whose opiate content helps fight pain as well as infection.
5. The preferred antibiotic for children is Amoxicillin because of its fast treatment period.
6. Amoxicillin fights infection in a quicker time frame than Penicillin.
7. Treatment time for Amoxicillin is 6 days. Treatment time for Penicillin is a 10 day period.
Search DifferenceBetween.net :
Email This Post : If you like this article or our site. Please spread the word. Share it with your friends/family.