8 responses

  1. smartwn
    July 11, 2013

    Difference Between XYLITOL and ERYTHRITOL

    These 2 statements in this article are at odds with each other.

    – “A two-thirds cup of Erythritol is equivalent to one cup of sugar”

    – “Another factor is that more of it is needed to make the food sweet since it is only 70 per cent as sweet as common sugar.”

    If the second is true, than the first should read “A two-thirds cup of sugar is equivalent to one cup of Erythritol.”

    Reply

    • Karen
      July 2, 2014

      I find that Erythritol tastes slightly sweeter than sugar so I measure 2/3 cup Erythritol to 1 cup sugar.

      Reply

    • Spirit
      September 14, 2017

      They got it backwards, I checked on the Xylabrands website who make both Xylitol & Erythritol sweeteners and they say it is for every 2/3 cup of sugar you need 1 cup of Erythritol.

      Too bad they don’t read the comments here.

      Reply

  2. Sandra
    August 31, 2015

    Not all xylitol is made from birch hardwood. In fact, most of it is made from corn. The “sugar” that Erythritol is made from is derived from corn or wheat or sometimes birch. Neither of these are artificial sweeteners.

    Reply

    • Spirit
      September 14, 2017

      Not necessarily. On Xylabrand.com website they say:

      “Well, have no fear – our main focus is still on North American hardwood-based xylitol and xylitol products….”

      Reply

  3. Harriet Russell
    December 23, 2016

    I think this type of warning should accompany any article about xyliyol. This is from: vetstreet.com
    “Because xylitol leads to a rapid drop in blood sugar, many dogs will collapse and suffer seizures. If they’re not rushed immediately to the hospital, they often die. In some cases, sudden death will ensue even before any other signs. And if they survive, they may suffer life-threatening liver failure.

    Unfortunately, many pet owners (and even some pet health professionals!) are still unaware of this “natural” sweetener’s extremely toxic effects. In fact, depending on the amount ingested, it can be way more toxic to dogs than chocolate. And yet most dog owners are still in the dark about the poisons that lurk in their pockets and purses.

    So if you ever believe your dog has been exposed to xylitol (or any potentially toxic substance), contact a pet poison control center and get to your veterinary clinic as soon as possible!

    Note: Cat owners can rest easy. Not only are cats not adversely affected by xylitol (that we know of), but because they’re not attracted to sweet things (they don’t have taste buds that register “sweet”), they’re also less likely to expose themselves to xylitol or any other sweetener. (Enticingly creamy delicacies are an exception.)”

    Reply

    • jayne
      March 2, 2017

      I’ve seen many warnings about the sweetener being toxic to dogs just as chocolate and many other things are. It is though safe for humans.
      Some cats do like sweets, especially lactose ones.

      The best thing to to try a few different sweeteners to discover which one is best personally for you.

      Reply

      • Dixie Hunt
        July 6, 2019

        Xylitol is poison to dogs brcause it shuts down their kidneys…i love xylitol and use it in place of sugar…cant tell the difference from cane sugar…the best quality is from the Birch Tree vs from corn stalks and or corn leaves

        Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top
mobile desktop