Difference Between Lutheran and Methodist
Lutheran vs Methodist
Lutherans and Methodists are basically people who have firmly rooted beliefs in these two doctrines of Christianity. These doctrines share a lot of common features but an equal number of differences too. The first and foremost point is their very different histories and origins. Lutherans have originated as a result Martin Luther’s significant endeavors to try and bring a restructuring of the Catholic Church. Most of the traditions and ideas of Lutherans are just the same as that of the Catholics. On the other hand, John Wesley is regarded as the leader of the Methodists. Many of the customs and beliefs can be traced back to the German church. A major contribution of the Methodists is the idea that God’s spirit manifests itself in every human being.
The Lutheran church lays a lot more emphasis on detailed, thorough and long-lasting ceremonies. There are congregations that are mandatory to be a part of. The ritual of giving confessions is also a part of the Lutheran church. The Methodist church deviates from these traditional practices and instead concentrates on doing good in order to please God. It focuses on good deeds and virtuous acts. It proclaims that God’s loving presence is inherent in us and Christ is present all around as we go about our daily lives.
Another glaring difference between the two doctrines is that the Methodists believe in becoming holy on Earth through acts of love, kindness and greatness. They encourage their followers to bring about a change in the way they behave towards fellow beings and instill messages of peace and brotherhood in their hearts. However, Lutherans believe that we cannot become holy on this Earth and can only attain holiness once we reach heaven. So, they focus on repentance for past sins through confessional rituals. They place a very strong importance on the practice of faith and preservation of Catholic traditions and customs. They believe that they will acquire a place in heaven on the strength of their faith alone.
These doctrines find place in varied countries of the world. Most of the Methodists are based in England and come under the purview of the Church of England. They actively take part in practices involving baptism rituals, immersion in holy water, etc. The Lutherans are more in number in Germany.
1. Martin Luther was the founder of the Lutheran doctrine while John Wesley can be attributed with the founding of the Methodist doctrine.
2. Methodists place considerable importance on the spirit of God being present everywhere while the Lutherans have a general belief that one can seek out God only in holy places.
3. Methodists lay a great importance on its followers doing good acts while the Lutherans focus more on faith and creed.
4. Methodists believe that they can become sanctified on the Earth itself by living a life of cleanliness, piety and purity while Lutherans do not share this belief.
5. Methodists do not indulge in mandatory confessional rituals while Lutherans indulge in these.
Search DifferenceBetween.net :
Email This Post : If you like this article or our site. Please spread the word. Share it with your friends/family.
Leave a Response