Difference Between Buddhism and Christianity
Buddhism is based on the teachings of prince-turned-saint Siddhartha Gautama also known as Lord Buddha while Christianity is based on the teachings of Jesus. Followers of Buddhism recognize Lord Buddha as an ‘awakened master/teacher’ who has given the eight-fold path of instructions to achieve salvation and release from the cycle of rebirth. Followers of Christianity believe that the Son of God, the Savior, Jesus came to earth to liberate man by paying for his sins. Christians believe in Jesus Christ as the Messiah and a model of the most virtuous life.
The major Christian belief is based on the four premises.
- the Holy Spirit, God the Father & Jesus Christ as the son of God,
- the death, subsequent descent into hell and resurrection, ascension of Christ,
- the communion of saints and the holiness of the Church
- Christ’s second coming , the Day of Judgement and the salvation of those who believe in him and are faithful to him.
Buddhism includes physical exercises, premises for ethical conduct and altruism, devotional practices, invocations and ceremonies, renunciation, mindfulness and wisdom practices and meditation.
Buddhism is divided into two major sects known as Mahayana and Hinayana. Buddhism is more prevalent in Asia though followers are found around the world. Christianity began as a Jewish sect and is more prevalent in the West including most European countries and America. However, like Buddhists, Christians are found around the world. Christians have two sects known as Roman Catholics and the Protestants.
Christians are expected to adhere to the Ten Commandments that are moral imperatives which, according to tradition, were given by God to Moses on Mount Sinai as two stone tablets. They are to form the foundation of Christianity. The Ten Commandments include directives against committing adultery, coveting a neighbor’s property, stealing etc. They also lay down the guidelines for correct behavior including respecting one’s parents etc.
Search DifferenceBetween.net :
Email This Post : If you like this article or our site. Please spread the word. Share it with your friends/family.
- Difference Between Zen Buddhism And Tibetan Buddhism | Difference Between | Zen Buddhism And Tibetan Buddhism
- Difference Between Jehovah’s witnesses and Christians | Difference Between | Jehovah’s witnesses vs Christians
- Difference Between Lutheran and Catholic | Difference Between | Lutheran vs Catholic
Leave a Response